Scholarship Contest Rules & Instructions
Applications and additional required material will be accepted between January 1 and March 31, 2019. A U.S. Postal Service official postmark of March 31 will be accepted. In order to ensure applications are processed in a timely fashion, applications received more than five business days after March 31 will not be accepted.
Thirty-Two (32) college scholarships of $2,500 each will be awarded to the sons and daughters of members of Pipe Trades Local Unions affiliated with the California State Pipe Trades Council.
These scholarships must be used for study at an accredited U.S. four-year college or university. The California State Pipe Trades Council Scholarship Foundation will not impose restrictions of any kind on the course of study. Recipients may accept any other grants or awards which do not rule out scholarship aid from other sources.
Who May Apply
Sons and daughters of U.A. members may apply. The parent of the applicant must be a member of a Local Union affiliated with the California State Pipe Trades Council, and currently in good standing for at least one full year. Students' transcripts must indicate a cumulative, unweighted grade point average of no less than 2.5.
High school seniors graduating in June and attending a U.S. 4-year college or university during the coming academic year must provide an official high school transcript as well as proof of enrollment at, or acceptance to, a four-year college or university.
- Full-time community college students attending a U.S. 4-year college or university during the coming academic year must provide an official community college transcript verifying full-time attendance, as well as proof of enrollment at, or acceptance to, a four-year college or university.
- Full-time students currently attending a U.S. 4-year college or university and continuing full-time attendance during the coming academic year must provide an official college or university transcript verifying full-time attendance.
- If the school transcript does not list your "classes in progress," you must provide documentation that clearly verifies your current full-time registration.
** Please note: Proof of application to colleges/universities does not meet the required proof of enrollment or acceptance. **
Most schools have a processing period for transcripts – we strongly
advise getting your transcripts as early as possible to ensure they arrive before the deadline.
After verifying the eligibility of the applicants, the California State Pipe Trades Council Scholarship Foundation will submit completed applications for judging by an external, independent panel comprised of professional educators through the University of California.
Applicants will receive points based upon the following criteria: academic honors (2); school activities (2); community service (2); application form (2); essay style (4); and essay content (8) -- a possible total of 20 points. The University Scholarship Selection Committee will submit the list of scholarship finalists to the California State Pipe Trades Council Scholarship Foundation.
Scholarship winners will be announced at the California State Pipe Trades Convention in May. Winners will be notified and presented award checks by the Business Manager of their parent’s Local Union.
The following items must be received:
Application - to be completed by the applicant; Note: under "Information Pertaining to Qualifying Parent," the applicant must ensure that the parent's Local Union completes the specified section at the bottom of the application.
- An official school transcript as detailed under "Who May Apply," is to be submitted by a high school official or college official and mailed directly to the California State Pipe Trades Council Scholarship Foundation. A transcript removed from the officially sealed school envelope, or in a school envelope with a broken seal, will not be accepted.
- Proof of enrollment at, or acceptance to, a four-year college or university.
- Letters of recommendation - applicant should submit one to three letters of recommendation giving information about the applicant’s character and ability. These letters may be from teachers, community leaders, family friends, or others who know the applicant. Please submit the letter(s) of recommendation with the application.
- 1,000-word essay on the following subject:
The Democratic party just won historic majorities in both houses of the state legislature, winning 29 of 40 seats in the State Senate and 60 of 80 seats in the State Assembly. In addition, Democrats hold both US Senate seats and 42 of the State's 53 Congressional seats and every state constitutional office. What are the public policy ramifications to this one party rule? What opportunities and challenges does this present for organized labor? Does California's Blue Tsunami indicate any particular trends for the Western United States?
It is the responsibility of the applicant to see that all the above items are received on time at the following address:
California State Pipe Trades Council Scholarship Foundation
1121 L Street, Suite 207
Sacramento, CA 95814
For applications being sent close to the deadline, we encourage you to use an overnight or priority mail service through USPS or UPS. Applications postmarked March 31 but not received within five business days will not be accepted. Please check with your chosen mail service to ensure the application will arrive on time.
Click Here to download the Scholarship Application